Re: ia64 port

On Thursday 25 May 2000, at 23 h 40, the keyboard of Joey Hess
<joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

> SourceForge now has 3 ia64 boxes, and they are letting people submit
> proposals to get access to them to port stuff.

You have to a registered user of SourceForge. Not a big deal but I prefer to
mention it.

> I suggest we submit a proposal to port Debian base. ;-) What do people think?

And there is a legal problem first. What do people on debian-legal think of the agreement you have to sign:

OPEN-SOURCE CLICKWRAP IPLA

              Intel would like to invite you to participate in Intel's efforts to prepare software targeted for the Linux
              operating system running on the Intel(R) Itanium(tm) processor by providing you access to software created
              by Intel and its licensors and related documentation and materials (the "Intel Software") and Intel supplied
              equipment ("Intel Equipment") under the following terms and conditions:

              1. To the extent that you are using software that is not supplied by Intel and/or its licensors such as the Linux
              operating system and the GCC compiler, this Agreement has no effect on your rights and your use of that
              software is subject to the applicable license such as the Gnu General Public License or other applicable
              license.

              2. This license to use the Intel Software and Intel Equipment is being provided to you royalty-free, in
              consideration of your adherence to the other terms and conditions of this license. You may distribute
              software that you create ("Your Software") using this equipment through any distribution scheme you wish to
              use, including distributing Your Software under an open source license agreement such as the Gnu General
              Public License or distributing binaries of Your Software for a fee and subject to a different license.

              3. You may modify portions of the Intel Software provided by Intel as sample source code and incorporate
              such sample source or modified portions thereof into your programs and may distribute Your Software
              incorporating sample source code or modifications thereof under any license agreement of your choosing.
              You may not reverse engineer, decompile, license or disassemble portions of any Intel Software provided in
              object code form.

              4. Since the Intel Equipment that you are using is pre-release hardware and incorporates pre-release software
              and is configured to permit multiple people to test code on the equipment, this equipment will not generate
              reliable benchmarking data. I understand that no reliable benchmarking data can be generated on the Intel
              Equipment. Therefore, you agree that you will not disclose publicly or share with any third party any
              benchmarks generated using the Intel Equpment and/or Intel Software.

              5. The Intel Software provided in binary form contains confidential information of Intel regarding technical
              aspects of the Itanium processor. You must use the same degree of care to protect this confidential
              information of Intel that you use to protect your own confidential information, but no less than a reasonable
              degree of care. You must restrict access to the Intel Software provided in binary form to your employees who
              have executed written agreements with you obligating them to protect confidential information as required
              under this paragraph. The obligations of this paragraph do not apply to any information that is or becomes
              published by Intel without restriction, or otherwise becomes rightfully available to the public other than by
              breach of confidentiality obligation to Intel.

              6. THE SOFTWARE AND EQUIPMENT IS PROVIDED BY INTEL AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
              WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
              MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT ARE
              DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL INTEL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
              INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
              LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
              PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
              LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE
              OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF
              ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

              7. You may provide to Intel additional feedback regarding the Intel Software and/or the Intel Equipment,
              including suggested enhancements or modifications to the Software or related materials. To the extent that
              you provide feedback to Intel, you agree that Intel shall have no use or confidentiality restrictions on such
              feedback.

              8. Intel retains all ownership of the Intel Software. No other rights or licenses are given to you, except as
              expressly provided in this license. Upon termination, you agree to destroy all copies of the Intel Software in
              your possession other than Intel Software that you incorporated into Your Software as permitted under
              paragraph 2.

              9. You shall comply with all US Export Regulations governing the Intel Software and Intel Equipment. You
              shall not sell or otherwise transfer the Intel Software or any confidential information of Intel to any person or
              any entity listed on a denial order published by the US Government. You understand that this requirement is
              imposed for all transactions, including sales, servicing, and training. You hereby certify that you are not
              involved in nuclear, missile, chemical and/or biological weapons activities in violation of US Export
              Regulations.

              10. U.S. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS: The Materials are provided with "RESTRICTED
              RIGHTS." Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions as set forth in
              FAR52.227-14 and DFAR252.227-7013 et seq. or its successor. Use of the Materials by the Government
              constitutes acknowledgment of Intel's proprietary rights in them.

              11. USER SUBMISSIONS: Any material, information or other communication you transmit or post to this
              Site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary ("Communications"). Intel will have no
              obligations with respect to the Communications. Intel and its designees will be free to copy, disclose,
              distribute, incorporate and otherwise use the Communications and all data, images, sounds, text, and other
              things embodied therein for any and all commercial or non-commercial purposes. You are prohibited from
              posting or transmitting to or from this Site any unlawful, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene,
              pornographic, or other material that would violate any law.

              12. USER CHAT ROOMS: Intel may, but is not obligated to, monitor or review any areas on the Site where
              users transmit or post Communications or communicate solely with each other, including but not limited to
              chat rooms, bulletin boards or other user forums, and the content of any such Communications. Intel,
              however, will have no liability related to the content of any such Communications, whether or not arising
              under the laws of copyright, libel, privacy, obscenity, or otherwise.

              13. USE OF PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION: Information submitted to Intel through
              forms on the website is governed according to Intel's Electronic Personal Information Privacy Policy
              (http://www.intel.com/sites/corporate/privacy.htm.)

              14. LINKS TO OTHER MATERIALS: The linked sites are not under the control of Intel and Intel is not
              responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. Intel reserves the right to
              terminate any link or linking program at any time. Intel does not endorse companies or products to which it
              links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites
              linked to this Site, you do this entirely at your own risk.

              15. APPLICABLE LAWS: This site is controlled by Intel from its offices within the United States of
              America. Intel makes no representation that Materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other
              locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to
              access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with
              applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations.
              Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the State of
              Delaware.

              16. GENERAL: Intel may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page
              from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of
              these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at
              this Site.

              17. This license forms the entire agreement between you and Intel with respect to the subject matter hereof,
              and may only be amended in writing by authorized representatives of both parties. The failure of either party
              to enforce any rights resulting from breach will not be deemed a waiver. This license shall be governed by,
              subject to, and construed according to the laws of the United States and the State of Delaware, excluding its
              conflicts of laws provisions. If the Software is used outside the United States of America, you agree that all
              disputes regarding this license and the Software shall be referred to the United States District Court for
              Delaware or, if there is no federal jurisdiction, to the applicable state court in Delaware.

              18. You are not required to accept this agreement, since you have not signed it. However, nothing else grants
              you permission to use the Intel Software or Intel Equipment. Therefore, by using the Intel Equipment or Intel
              Software, you indicate your acceptance of this agreement to do so, and all its terms and conditions for using
              the Intel Software and Intel Equipment.

              Enter A Brief description of the work you would like to do on the Itanium(tm) processor prototype
              machines: