Re: netscape 4.73 in potato?

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 08:23:30PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 12:02:31PM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > The extra good news is that Netscape is now offering 128-bit encryption
> > versions for download, so fortify is no longer necessary.  See
> > <http://www.fortify.net/>.
>
> yes i just remembered this, how will this affect the debian packages?
> since there is no longer fortify available debian will either have to
> supply 128 bit packages or users will not be able to use the debian
> packages to get the 128 bit versions.
>
> since netscape is freely distributing 128 bit binaries should debian
> put them in non-US/non-free ? or perhaps netscape-blah-128-4.73 packages in
> non-US with the export versions in plain non-free ?

I filed a bug report against navigator-smotif-472, though it hasn't been
addressed yet (I marked it wishlist).

One thing I noticed (with 4.72), is that it *is* 128 bit enabled already,
even the "export" version.  The "US" version just had one or two extra
encryption modules, but the main stuff was already in the export version.
I've used it to access my bank in Australia, for instance.

Has anything really changed with 4.73 ?

Drew

--
PGP public key intermittently available at
http://strider.ucdavis.edu/~drew/drewskey.txt