Re: ITP seahorse

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 11:42:27AM -0400, Mike Bilow wrote:
> On 2000-05-24 at 13:26 +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
>
> > If it's not a stupid idea, can't we have symlinks to the same image
> > with names "US Domestic" and "Non-US", with an explanation that they
> > are the same for anyone who wants to read the explanation?
>
> This is exactly what I do NOT want.  Calling the image "US domestic" would
> lead to CD makers in the US incorrectly pressing that version.  No one

But the "US domestic" version is the one with non-US/main included.
I think I wasn't clear enough.

> really wants to press the US-exportable version at all!  US vendors really
> want the non-US version for domestic sale, and non-US vendors really want
> the non-US version for sale everywhere.  The only reason the US-exportable
> version exists is for electronic mirrors within the US.  There are no
> restrictions against the use of encryption within the US, and the domestic
> version produced by US vendors should include it.

I have an even more radical idea.  Why don't we contact two or three
US-based vendors and see if they have any suggestions?

> This state of affairs is precisely why we find these regulations so
> maddeningly stupid in the US.  We cannot sell something to the rest of the
> world (a CD) which is (a) freely available outside the US and (b) imported
> into the US from outside in the first place.  US vendors could choose to
> press the US-exportable version for sale to foreign countries, but no one
> in their right mind would buy such a thing, since the complete version
> would be available from every vendor outside the US.

(a) I have, in the past, bought CD's from Walnut Creek.  I'd heard of
    them, and that's where I got my first Debian CDs from.  (And no, I
    didn't know anything about politics or Slackware or what-have-you
    in those days, so no flames please.)  And I don't live in the US.

(b) When slink was released, LinuxCentral kindly offered every
    developer up to two sets of slink CDs.  And there are plenty of
    non-US developers who would have only been able to receive a
    US-exportable version from them as LinuxCentral is US-based.

It is clear to me that the option must be available.

Maybe have the "Official Debian 2.2 CD" and the "Official Debian 2.2
(US Exportable) CD"?  Would that be clearer?

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/