Re: PROPOSAL: complete list of documentation files, "man <packagename>", all man pages refer to said doc list in "See Also" sect

> On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 06:38:04PM -0700, Jim Lynch wrote:
> >But: what about packages such as dpkg, where the package name is also
> >the name of a command? Should we introduce a new command, call it
> >packageinfo, which uses man to do the above things?
>
> I'm don't think that messing with man is such a good idea.  A seperate
> script/program to filter `dpkg -L' is certainly fairly trivial, although
> I'm not completely convinced that it's required/useful:

>   $ pkgman dpkg make
>   dpkg: cleanup-info(8), dpkg(8), dpkg-deb(1), dpkg-divert(8), dpkg-split(8),
>       dselect(8), install-info(8), md5sum(1), start-stop-daemon(8),
>       update-alternatives(8) and update-rc.d(8).
>
>   make: make(1).
>
>   $ pkginfo dpkg make
>   Package `dpkg' has no info pages.
>   make: make.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
> Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9809 0133

Maybe such a thing aready exists in potato: dpkg-www. It is a web interface
to dpkg which lists all doc files as mouseable hrefs. The next version will
have also a command-line dpkg-www command which fires a browser with a new
page for the required package. The only drawback is that it requires a
local httpd server running, like dwww.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |