Re: A simple problem

*Dayse Regina Pereira wrote:
> I'm just start with debian and i have a problem wich i don't know who i should contact so i decided to try you. I forget my password and i can't enter in my machine as root or as any user, how can i change the password of any user or of a root to restart to use my Linux partition?

   The proper list for user questions is debian-user@lists.debian.org .

   One way to fix it is to boot the debian installation floppy or CD.
When you get the screen asking if you have a color monitor, don't answer
(its ok if you do, but you don't need to) Choose ctrl-alt-f1 (or is it f2 ?)
This gets you a shell.  Then mount your root partition
   mount /dev/hdax /mnt
where x is the partition that you installed on.
Then use the editor "ae"
   ae /mnt/etc/passwd

Erase the encrypted password for root. Save the file, and reboot normally.

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org