Re: Hardware detection projects

Previously Dan Shearer wrote:
> My company has been asked to undertake some work involving building a
> reliable hardware detection library for Intel Linux. There are quite a few
> of these around, and several of them have links to people in the Debian
> project, or appear to do so anyway. I looked for an appropriate list on
> the Debian web pages but couldn't find one.
>
> So, perhaps you can advise me:
>
> 1) We want to build on existing code as much as possible (no question
>    of IP hassles, this clearly has to be GPLd.) Has Debian adopted
>    any particular library for this? Who would know about it?

Not yet as far as I know. I think it is planned as part of the woody
boot-floppies, but I haven't heard of anyone working on this so far.

> 2) Which Debian group is likely to be most interested in this topic?

It would be of direct use for the boot-floppies team, however
other developer might also be interested.

> 3) There is the question of what to do next once the hardware has been
>    detected. What is the best group for discussing the Debian
>    installer, and interfaces for libraries that it uses etc?

Definitely boot-floppies. I've cc'ed them on this response as well
so they can pick this up.

> I very much want to see this done in conjunction with the appropriate
> Debian team.

I would love to see this happen!

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@liacs.nl                    http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |