Re: The lilo problem

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Mike Bilow wrote:

> I personally cannot think of any logical reason why it is desirable to
> have a zImage instead of a bzImage kernel, unless the machine is broken.
> (Remember that Lilo itself is specific to the i386 platform.)  Note that
> LARGE_EBDA was selected to fix a number of important bugs (e.g., 58602) on
> certain platforms.

What about backwards compatibility? I have at about 15 different kernels
(e.g. older versions to compare in case of bugs) that are zImage because
there was no good reason to make them bzImage. At the moment I can't
install a kernel (that is already compiled) without

- deleting all the other kernel images
or
- recompiling all the other kernel images
or
- installing the slink version of lilo

If this bug isn't fixed I'll choose the third possibility, but I would be
absolutely dissatisfied with it.

cu,
Adrian

                -- Mahatma Ghandi