Re: The lilo problem

I have serious doubt that 62942 is even a Lilo problem, more likely BIOS.

At least two of these (63516, 63925) seem like doc errors at worst.  If
the kernel image is too big, then it is too big.  It just happens that the
error falls out of running Lilo.  The warning issues as a result of the
uncompressed size of the kernel, not the compressed size.  This is
actually a result of a documented trade-off in Lilo, where the LARGE_EBDA
compile-time option is selected:

   LARGE_EDBA Loads LILO at a lower address in order to leave more space
    for the EBDA (Extended BIOS Data Area). This is necessary on some
    recent MP systems. Note that enabling LARGE_EDBA reduces the maximum
    size of "small" images (e.g. "Image" or "zImage").

I personally cannot think of any logical reason why it is desirable to
have a zImage instead of a bzImage kernel, unless the machine is broken.
(Remember that Lilo itself is specific to the i386 platform.)  Note that
LARGE_EBDA was selected to fix a number of important bugs (e.g., 58602) on
certain platforms.

Bug 63229 was actually a bug against the old version of Lilo that was in
Potato before it was agreed to upgrade Lilo in Potato.  The user
specifically states that his problem was solved by using the Lilo from
Woody, which is now what is in Potato.  As I note in the BTS, I think that
58602 and 63229 are likely the same bug, and that the fix for 58602 also
fixed 63229.

I don't even understand 63095.  It looks as if the user set lilo.conf to
clobber his DOS/Windows boot sector and is upset that Lilo did what he
told it to do.  Also, this bug is also against the old Lilo, not the one
that is in Potato now, anyway.

-- Mike