Re: Is there a backport for the framebuffer device?

>|>Does anyone know if there is a backport from the develoment kernel of
>|>the framebuffer device anywhere?
>|
>Sorry for the question, but are there any benefits on i386 to use
>fbdev? Speed? I read this is important on other architectures, but is
>there any reason I would like to use it on i386?

Display drivers belongs into the kernel and neither into X nor anywhere
else as it is with any hardware driver. There is no need to support any
different Xservers as long as the kernel does a good job on framebuffer.
Also GGI or SVGAtextmode won't be neccessary.

Framebuffer in kernel 2.2.x is definitly not state of the art, so any
discussion about speed, stability, etc. should be made with a
development kernel. Since kernel 2.4 is still far away and probably will
introduce other problems, a backport would greatly increase the
acceptance for framebuffer devices. So if no backport exists, does
anybody volunteer to build it (of course only if reasonably possible)?

O. Wyss