Someone please help me compiling static apt & dpkg

[ Please do not think "someone else will do it". Do it yourself ;-)
  And note that AFAIK this is the one and only thing that is holding
  back the CD images of the first test cycle. ]

Hi!

As you know, procedures for upgrading "from anything to potato" are available
from
  http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/potato/

It is of course the intention that this stuff will end up on the Debian FTP
sites (/debian/dists/potato/main/upgrade-i386/ etc.)

The only problem is that the FTPmasters refuse to install something that's not
GPG/PGP-signed by a registered Debian developer. Which I am not (yet).
I already have signed checksums of the alpha and m68k packages, but i386 still
needs to be done. (The i386 versions on the page mentioned above are my own
"private" unsigned versions.)

So, one or more registered developers are requested to compile static versions
of apt and dpkg. This is a very easy and mostly non-interactive procedure that
takes less than 15 minutes. You can do it on any potato or woody box that has
the necessary devel tools installed (AFAIK, master has).

This is what you should do:

1. Fetch sources:
  wget http://incoming.debian.org/apt_0.3.19.tar.gz
  wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/source/base/dpkg_1.6.12.99.tar.gz

2. Follow (easy!) instructions from:
  http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/potato/upgrade-i386/source/

3. Make an md5sums file with checksums of the constructed .deb files:
  md5sum *.deb > MD5SUMS

4. Sign the MD5SUMS file with your GPG/PGP key (this is the important step!).
  (You can transfer the MD5SUMS file to your home machine if necessary)

5. Put the packages & signed MD5SUMS on some HTTP/FTP site (e.g. on master) or
   mail them directly to me.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer