Re: Package splitting

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 02:35:56PM -0400, Mike Bilow wrote:
> I think one obvious line of pursuit would be to maintain the locale
> information in compressed form until it is actually needed, and then cache
> the uncompressed form somehow.  This is how man pages work, for example.
> Probably 98% of accesses to locale information go through the C lib?

It would be easy to make libc read gzip'ed mo files, and that gives us over
50% compression*. No Debian package should use a built in gettext, but some
foreign ones may, but as long as we don't mess with their files, it'll be
all right.

Now, if someone cares enough to write the code, file a disclaimer, we might
see this in glibc2.2. Otherwise . . .

* If anyone cares how I got that number -
mkdir zloc; cd zloc
cp `find /usr/share/locale | fgrep .mo | grep mo$ | random 5` .
and again and again. (This because the mo files have the same names,
and I wanted to get a variety of languages.)
du  -> 2728
gzip *
du -> 1236

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
All emotions are worthless, except depression; anger is