Package splitting

Do you agree that some packages have become too large?
The first I really noticed was locales but there are more examples
like the emacs packages.

The package locales takes about 2 MB in a package and 11 MB uncompressed. It contains dozens of different locales but most people use only one of them. I think something should
be done.

I don't know if it's completely too difficult to keep every main locale (en_*, de_* etc.) in its own
package. I think that would be the best solution.
If it is impossible could a possible solution be splitting the package continentally?

And please, put me into the Cc-list when replying.
I'm not subscribed.