Re: preserving window manager selection on upgrades.

Julian Gilbey wrote:

> On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 12:00:19PM -0700, Ben Gertzfield wrote:
> >     Josip> Ouch. We should fix that... Maybe xfree86-common could do
> >     Josip> something like this in its postinst:
> >
> > *snip* I like that, it should work fine..
>
> I've been thinking: installation of the wm will change that.  Should
> probably use something like update-alternatives --config, or perhaps
> even ln -sf /usr/X11R6/bin/$wm /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager.
> The latter is probably best, because update-alternatives will see it
> the next time it runs on the x-window-manager, and so will change into
> manual mode.  Unless, of course, it was already pointing at that wm.
> In which case, I don't know what to do either.

By the way, browsing in debconf documentation, x-window-manager
selection is written as an example of a shared template for use with
debconf, allowing to choose a window manager from the installed ones.
That documentation considers some of the problems pointed out, like
asking the user only if a new wm is being installed, or if the selected
choice is being removed. Do not know whether is already operative, but
for woody seems to be a thing to implement.

Agustín Martín Domingo, Dpto. de Física, ETS Arquitectura Madrid,
(U. Politécnica de Madrid)  tel: +34 91-336-6536, Fax: +34 91-336-6554,
email:agmartin@aq.upm.es, http://corbu.aq.upm.es/~agmartin/welcome.html