Re: Applying the kernel-patch-2.2.10-raid 2.2.10-3 to 2.2.15

On 2000-05-16 at 09:30 -0400, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 06:40:42AM -0400, Mike Bilow wrote:
> > Can this be done?  Definitely -- we did it.  However, this is not a
> > project for anyone unless they are up for a challenge.
>
> If you're planning to use raid1, it's possible to install to a regular
> partition, create a degraded raid1 on the second partition, copy
> everything from the regular partition to the raid1, and then add the
> first partition to the raid set. That's probably easier than trying to
> do it at install time.

This is a bad idea.  If you do this, you would not be able to use
persistent superblocks because the RAID superblock is written to the end
of the partition.  In other words, you want to run mkfs against /dev/md0,
not against /dev/hda1 (or /dev/sda1), which requires that /dev/md0 exist.

To be honest, this is not such a challenge to install Debian onto a
RAID-1 bootable partition, except that there is no documented procedure.
I certainly would expend a lot of effort to keep persistent superblocks.

-- Mike