Re: AW: Is there a backport for the framebuffer device?

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Wyss, Otto wrote:
>I tried the framebuffer with kernel 2.2.14 which shouldn't be that
>different. Sofar I haven't been successful. With the ATI Rage IIc graphics
>the display always uses 640x480-60 , regardless which values I use in
>lilo.conf (vga=...,append=...). Of course I can use fbset 800x600-72
>manually but that's not what I want. With the Matrox MGA Milenium the

I've got the same problem on my Matrox G200 machine.  But it's not a big
deal, I use an "at" job to run fbset shortly after boot.

>lilo.conf settings sort of works, unfortunatly the /etc/fb.modes allways
>shows the ATI mach64 settings which weren't supported by the Matrox card.

fbset > /etc/fb.modes

>Also XF86Setup does not work (unusable display) on kernels with framebuffer
>support. There doesn't seems to be an easy way to use framebuffer for X, at
>least on the i386. I may try to configure SVGA-xserver without framebuffer
>and change xconfig manually to framebuffer.

Install xserver-fbdev, then run "fbset -x" to get the settings for the
ModeLine.  X doesn't get easier than this.

--
My current location - X marks the spot.