AW: Is there a backport for the framebuffer device?

>On Fri, 12 May 2000, Otto Wyss wrote:
>>Does anyone know if there is a backport from the develoment kernel of
>>the framebuffer device anywhere?
>
>I am currently running the framebuffer in a standard 2.2.15 kernel.  I have
>been using it for most of the 2.2.x series.
>
>2.3.x has support for more graphics hardware (and that support has not been
>back-ported and probably never will be).  But if you want to use VESA, ATI,
>or Matrox then 2.2.15 should work fine.

I tried the framebuffer with kernel 2.2.14 which shouldn't be that
different. Sofar I haven't been successful. With the ATI Rage IIc graphics
the display always uses 640x480-60 , regardless which values I use in
lilo.conf (vga=...,append=...). Of course I can use fbset 800x600-72
manually but that's not what I want. With the Matrox MGA Milenium the
lilo.conf settings sort of works, unfortunatly the /etc/fb.modes allways
shows the ATI mach64 settings which weren't supported by the Matrox card.
I've at least 3 times installed/removed any framebuffer support in the
kernel and any debian framebuffer packages, but couldn't solve these
problems.

Also XF86Setup does not work (unusable display) on kernels with framebuffer
support. There doesn't seems to be an easy way to use framebuffer for X, at
least on the i386. I may try to configure SVGA-xserver without framebuffer
and change xconfig manually to framebuffer.

Anyway framebuffer support in 2.2.x kernels is still experimental. While
it's not so important for  i386, it is for other ports. I don't know what
other ports do, but I suspect they use some hacks to solve there problems. A
backport (if possible) still might be a good idea, since potato will be
relaesed without kernel 2.4.

O. Wyss