Re: ["Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>] Re: apt-get

On 15 May 2000, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

[window manager preferences]

> Joe Schmoe User is not going to have a chance in hell of figuring out
> how to use update-alternatives to set their window manager, and now
> that /etc/X11/window-managers is silently ignored.. well, it's not a
> happy situation. :)

Actually I think the preferred windowmanager is a per-user setting. It
would be much better if we'd ask the user on his first login which wm he
liked.

<drifting where="away">Could debconf be modified to handle per-user
settings as well? This could start with the preferred language and
windowmanager, but is not limited to it. Also, some sort of on-demand
configuration for single applications would be nice (You are guided
through pgp key generation when you first use it etc.).

   Simon

--
PGP public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8  47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1