Re: [dark: READ!] CD images / Re: Formal objection: Changing how the testing of potato works would invalidate the whole test. So please don't change it.

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Le Mon, May 15, 2000 at 01:53:52PM +0200, Richard Braakman écrivait:
> > That's a bit of a Catch-22, because everyone else is WAITING for the CD
> > images.
> >
> > > This is my current WaitingFor list:  (comments are welcome!)
> >
> > My first comment is that this is the first I've heard of this list.
>
> As responsible of the debian-cd package, I hardly see all this is required
> for the test cycle even it would be good to have them. Let's face it,
> we're late and there are many fixes waiting in Incoming ... let's include
> those fixes and start the real testing cycle in one or two days.

Update: I've received reports that everything except ARM floppies, apt 0.3.19
and upgrade-stuff is okay at this moment. Maybe you can skip apt for the
moment (but then SAY it, so we'll not be waiting for something that won't
happen.)

> > > - upgrade-alpha                 install   (see #63890)
> > > - upgrade-i386                  install   (see #63890)
> > > - upgrade-m68k                  install   (see #63890)
> > > - upgrade-sparc                 install   (see #63890)
> >
> > As you have guessed, a signature from a Debian developer is necessary to
> > get something into the archive.  The main exception is stuff the archive
> > maintainers can review for themselves, such as documentation and small
> > scripts.
>
> Eek... he has taken the time to do this useful work, we certainly should
> include it. Can someone download, check & rebuild the packages before
> uploading it ?

I don't think anyone is prepared to take the trouble. But be my guest. (BTW, I
didn't do alpha and m68k myself, so don't blame me for that ;-)

> > > - apt 0.3.19                    install
> > ppc
> > > - libc6                         re-upload & re-install
> > sparc
> > > - libc6-dev, 2.1.3-10.1         upload & install
> >
> > Installing these will invalidate the boot-floppies we already have.
> > Please get in touch with the boot-floppies team if you think the
> > current ones are not useful even for the first test cycle.
>
> They would differ from those on the boot-floppies but AFAIK it can't
> do any harm ... they would just be updated at the initial install.

libc6/ppc&sparc is resolved (see above).

> > Yes, they are rather late with their boot-floppies.   But I see
> > 2.2.14 ones for ARM in Incoming now.  This is still a problem because
> > it's a binary upload and the boot-floppies source is still at 2.2.13.
> > There have been a lot of communication problems with the ARM porters;
> > I hope they can work out this one.
>
> Wrt debian-cd, arm will get out with non-bootable CD since ARM don't have
> any CD reader ... the install is done over the network. The CD can only be
> used to provide the files that would be exported over the local network.

Okay. Is the /tools/boot/potato/boot-arm already done? Or do you mean
that that's not needed?

> > Perhaps we should find someone else to do that, since you're obviously on
> > a power trip.  I don't see how you got that job without being a Debian
> > developer in the first place.
>
> I feel unconfortable too with the way he reacted, but let's not overreact
> too. He has done a great job and he's only bored to see that nobody
> is taking care to include the upgrade stuff he prepared ...

Actually, I'm rather "angry" because (until just now) I've received NO
response whatsoever on any mail directed to ftpmaster. That's obviously not
the way things should work.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer