RE: Re: scp on ftp-master.debian.org

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2000, Robert D. Hilliard wrote:
>
> >      Have the .ssh files from master been transferred to auric?  I am
> > unable to ssh into ftp-master.debian.org.  I am asked for a password,
> > and the password that I use on other debian machines and in the LDAP
> > database is not accepted.  Unless I am badly mistaken, ssh access is
> > necessary to dupload using scp.
>
> Ben has been fiddling with the kernel to try to fix an SMP related oops.
> While doing this /etc/nologin is set and ssh kindly doesn't bother to tell
> anyone (crappy)
>
> Otherwise, the .ssh files are not copied, please use LDAP, read
> http://db.debian.org/password.html on how to set that up.

     I have moved my identity.pub file into LDAP, and, with some help
from doogie and Ben, all is well.

     I am curious to know if the several machines copy these files
from LDAP, or if they access the LDAP when they need to authenticate a
user.

     Yesterday, about 1145 EDT I uploaded a package to
ftp-master.debian.org using dupload and scp.  I believe this was while
/etc/nologin was set.  Does scp not login, or does it bypass the
nologin file somehow?

     For each file in the upload, the message "Could not chdir to home
directory /home/hilliard: No such file or directory" was displayed,
but no other error messages were shown.  The progress indicators that
dupload usually displays were not shown, and the upload was so fast I
was sure it had failed.  (This is the first package I have uploaded
since I got a cable modem, which may be why it seemed so fast.)  I was
shocked when I received a message from Debian Installer that
afternoon, indicating that the upload had succeeded

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard      <hilliard@debian.org>