Re: efficient mirroring: tje, mirroring only (binary) diffs

Je 2000/05/08(1)/10:05, Robert Bihlmeyer montris sian geniecon skribante:
> joost witteveen <joostje@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Notice that the "patches" I speak about are against "uncompressed"
> > (.deb) files. That is, I un-ar a .deb, then uncompress the *.gz
> > files in there, and then put them together in one file again.
> > All diffs are against these. Naturally, the client later makes proper
> > .deb archives again.
>
> Uhh, that means that your mirroring tool needs intricate knowledge of
> the file formats it mirrors to gain anything.

Yes, you got that right, it does.
There's a configuration file that allows the user to specify how
to "uncompress" (and "compress") for a specific file format.

> Concerning Debian archives, the common case there is *not* that a file
> changes, but rather that foo-version vanishes, and foo-version+1 is
> newly created. So what are you running diffs between?

I'm running the diff's between the packages names. In the
configuration file mentioned above, one can define how to generate
the name of each filetype -- for the "Packages" file, the name
is "Packages". For for example sysvinit_2.3-2.deb, the name
is "sysvinit". But it should be easy to also include rpm's,
and any other files types.

(PS: I don't read debian-devel regularly).
--
joostje