Re: Proposal new source archive format

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000 15:27:46 +0200, you wrote:
>We've had a couple of discussions about shortcomings of the way
>we currently implement source packages, and the various ways to
>work around it.

I like that idea. However, I have an additional issue that I'd like to
see addressed.

We are a small ISP using Debian on your server system. We have also
sold a few machines to customers running mostly web and mail servers
running Debian that we're still doing administration for.

I dream of a system where all those machines could do a cron'ed
apt-get dist-upgrade in the night, so we'd need the updates done
non-interactively. We have our own Debian mirror and have tweaked some
packages so that they behave differently to the stock Debian packages.

For these packages, we have
(1) the pristine sources
(2) the debian patch from the source archive and
(3) our own patch that is applied to the source dir before building
the package.

I'd like to see the new package tools supporting this transparently,
so that dpkg-source for example would look for other patches fitting
the package to be unpacked and automatically apply them.

Is this being considered?

Greetings
Marc