Re: Proposal new source archive format

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 02:56:08PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Joey Hess wrote:
> > Er, you have to list _all_ files, upstream or not. Notice that .diff.gz
> > is currently listed in .dsc files.
>
> The patch-files are inside the debian diff, which is also listed in the
> .dsc but is special.

So we are back to the diff of a diff? Why not make the debian/ a .tar.gz
for easier change and perusal? If all of the patches are seperate from the
original source, why do we need to use diff.gz at all for our debian
stuff?

it could still be a special .tar.gz. It could even be forced to be named
pkg-ver-rev-debian.tar.gz (in relation to pkg-ver.orig.tar.gz), and then
further force the assumption that it contains one directory called
"debian/" with all of the relevant files/patches in there. Seems like an
easier plan to me, since you don't need to diff, just tar/untar, and it
gives the extra added benefit of allowing binary files (gif's, jpeg's
etc..) to be added by the maintainer (HUGE benefit!).

Ben