Re: Proposal new source archive format
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Proposal new source archive format
- From: Joseph Carter <email@example.com>
- Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 22:51:11 -0700
- Message-id: <20000430225111.C27243@debian.org>
- In-reply-to: <20000430190640.B16426@ecn.purdue.edu>; from firstname.lastname@example.org on Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 07:06:40PM -0400
- References: <20000430152746.A1252@mors.wiggy.net> <20000430155555.B27156@debian.org> <20000430190640.B16426@ecn.purdue.edu>
On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 07:06:40PM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > There are more than a few packages out there which do evil things to
> > archives which are not in normal tar.gz/tar.bz2 format to make them fit
> > the Debian profile of a source package. I'd rather use the pristine
> > upstream source where it's reasonable.
> Not packaging source code as a compressed tarfile is not reasonable.
Why not? What if the source code comes as a srpm or a zip file? These
are the pristine source formats used upstream, why should we choose not to
honor them? What about sources which are distributed as a tar file
containing several tar.gz's such as fpc?
Given the choice between pristine upstream source and making an aleardy
planned modification more complete and flexible, I vote for the pristine
If that is not possible, then I will simply oppose Wichert's build system
in favor of doogie's. dbs, despite the lack of documentation, is exactly
the kind of wheel Wichert wishes to reinvent. If he's going to reinvent
it poorly, I'll stick with the one that works.
Joseph Carter <email@example.com> GnuPG key 1024D/DCF9DAB3
Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org/) 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC
The QuakeForge Project (http://quakeforge.net/) 44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3
<knghtbrd> is it a sign of mental illness to wander aimlessly through the
start map, collect your Thunderbolt, hop in the pool, and gib
yourself with it just to see your head buouce when it falls
through the bottom of the pool? =>
<knghtbrd> "You know you're a Quake addict when ..."