Re: potato late, goals for woody (IMHO)

On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 03:31:10PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > > My god! it's been over a year since slink was released
> > > and potato is still frozen.  Yes, I agree don't
> > > release it till all the bugs are gone.  However may I
> > > suggest something.  After potato is stable, and the
> > > 2.4 kernel is out (feature)freeze woody at at once
> > > with the new kernel and start the release process for
> > > woody.  This will allow Debian to play catch up with
> > > the rest of the (linux) world.
> >
> > I disagree. We need several things for woody before release, IMO. Glibc
> > 2.2, gcc3(maybe even with libstdc++3), binutils 2.10, *and* kernel 2.4.
>
> I disagree: IMHO it's enough if there are (besides many other upgraded and
> new packages) kernel 2.4, perl-5.6 and XFree86 4.0 . Especially to wait
> for gcc 3.0 is dangerous:
>
> 1. there's still some time till it will be released

The same can be said for kernel 2.4

> 2. gcc is extremly central at Debian and a new version won't be without
>    bugs

Likewise.

> potato has nearly no new packages since january. If woody will be frozen
> one or two months after potato is released there's a change to release
> woody less then one year after the freeze of potato.

This is the number of packages in woody that are newer than potato
Needs-Build     :   481

This is how many packages are in woody that are not in potato:
[buildd@marcus(9:16am)-~]%grep uncompiled public_html/unstable-stats/needs-build.txt | wc -l
    162

I'de say you're a little off on your estimation. We are already making
woody very bleeding edge, and waiting for gcc3 will be a must for some
things to happen properly. gcc3 CVS is already being tested for woody
(in project/experiemental), so it's not as if we don't know what we are
getting into. We don't even have kernel 2.3.99 in woody yet, so we have
not idea how it will affect everything.

Ben