Re: potato late, goals for woody (IMHO)

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> > My god! it's been over a year since slink was released
> > and potato is still frozen.  Yes, I agree don't
> > release it till all the bugs are gone.  However may I
> > suggest something.  After potato is stable, and the
> > 2.4 kernel is out (feature)freeze woody at at once
> > with the new kernel and start the release process for
> > woody.  This will allow Debian to play catch up with
> > the rest of the (linux) world.
>
> I disagree. We need several things for woody before release, IMO. Glibc
> 2.2, gcc3(maybe even with libstdc++3), binutils 2.10, *and* kernel 2.4.

I disagree: IMHO it's enough if there are (besides many other upgraded and
new packages) kernel 2.4, perl-5.6 and XFree86 4.0 . Especially to wait
for gcc 3.0 is dangerous:

1. there's still some time till it will be released
2. gcc is extremly central at Debian and a new version won't be without
   bugs

potato has nearly no new packages since january. If woody will be frozen
one or two months after potato is released there's a change to release
woody less then one year after the freeze of potato.

Yust my 0.02,
Adrian

                -- Mahatma Ghandi