Re: XF4 in woody

On 29-Apr-00, 13:38 (CDT), Gerd Knorr <kraxel@goldbach.in-berlin.de> wrote:
> [there are some video cards that will never be supported in XFree >=4.0]
>
> Bottom line:  IMHO there is no way around including the 3.3.6 X-Servers
> into future debian releases.

I don't believe this conclusion follows. At a certain point, you just
say "this software is obsolete, no body is maintaining it, and there's
no benefit in keeping it in the distribution". Those people that require
such software will just not upgrade. I'm not saying we should yank them
from woody, but realize there is an end to it.

It also may require that someone other than Branden take over the
pre-4.0 X servers. It's not unreasonable for him to say "I can't do
all of it; if the old servers are important, somebody who cares should
maintain them."

Steve