Re: potato late, goals for woody (IMHO)

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 10:52:33AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> I dropped 2.3.99-pre3 into unstable with no changes at all.

I left out devfs, since I don't have a clue how permissions would
work on a virtual file-system of devices.

The kernel writers attempted to maintain backwards compatibility.
For example there is a module for IP-chains (but only the majority of features
are supported).
It is fairly easy to run  2.3.99-pre3 in Debian as Debian potato currently is.
The enhancements though are very useful (which is why I am using it)
such as net-filter which provides stateful packet filtering, and which
will mess with ipmasq and some other "net" packages (they have always depended
on how the kernel was built, and the canned kernel was built with this
support) . The additional hardware support is desirable (USB, RAID,
firewire, whatever). A kernel-{image|source} could be packaged when 2.4 is
released (I see a 2.3.99-pre6 on kernel.org), after all we once had 2.1.125 ,
even if this was mostly for other architectures.

<PASTE from the kernel Documentation/Changes file>

http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/kaboom/linux

   Those of you running Debian (or a different distribution that
supports .deb packages) can look in the "unstable" and
"project/experimental" directories of your favorite Debian mirror.  The
Debian 2.2 release will ship with most packages you need as well.

</PASTE>

	Verbosely
		J.Currey