Re: Modifying /etc/group and /etc/passwd [RANT]

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 01:12:23PM +0200, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
[snip..]

> BTW: This changes to /etc/group always break when using NIS. Funny stuff.
> Reason: People rely on having the user/group in the appropriate files
> /etc/passwd or /etc/group respectively. So they grep for the group to add
> in /etc/group and if it is not there they call addgroup -> boom, group
> exists (via NIS).

Perhaps it is time to follow the grand linux tradition of improving
the underlying tools ??

IMHO the tools for manipulating users & groups should be able to deal
with the 3 current ways of keeping user information (files, NIS, NIS+)
and therefore be able to provide a consistent way of updating this
information without the caller (in this case scripts) needing to know
what mechanism is used to store that information.

We could also do with a program that is callable from the scripts that
verifys the existence of the user/group (which if my thinking is correct
would merely be a wrapper around the appropriate C call)

Stuart