amanda and /etc/group

Greetings!  Is it still debian policy to prohibit any package from
touching /etc/group except base-files?  I installed amanda the other
day and noticed it made the sensible updates for the disk and tape
groups.  The only reason I ask is that I've contributed a package
for which I would like to do similar updates, but have refrained from
doing so due to the policy.

Please reply to me directly, as I am too short of time to subscribe to
this list.

Thanks!