Re: Debian posters

Anand Kumria wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 11:33:48AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Maybe another addition.
> >
> > Anand Kumria wrote:
> > > I've finally gotten around to making preview PDF and  output quality
> > > PostScripts ready. They can be had at
> > > http://www.debian.org/~akumria/posters/. Please note that the last
> > > PostScript poster is still uploading (~17M) and should be done
> > > shortly.
> >
> > Another Debian-Poster we've used is at
> > ftp://gauss.mathematik.uni-oldenburg.de/pub/joey/ffis/gucke/debian/
> > Only the debian* files refer to Debian.
>
> Nifty.
>
> > 	Joey
> >
> > PS: They're much shorter than 17MB since proper tools were used.
>
> If you know how to re-create what I've made available with free tools
> please don't let me stop you. I don't believe you could get it much
> smaller though. Your poster is 90% text, mine is 90% images.

Convert the fonts so they can be used by TeX.  The swirl is already
available as .eps iirc.  I don't believer that you need non-free
tools to create them.  Personally I'd deny such tools.

> The actual postscript is 277Mb; of that, however, 276Mb is EPS data

Oh my goodness!

Btw. creating such images with Gimp is horror, pure!  Importing them
into gimp and exporting them blows them up to 90MB

Regards,

	Joey

--
The MS-DOS filesystem is nice for removable media.  -- H. Peter Anvin