Re: Type1 fonts...

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 20:49:39 +0400, Michael Sobolev wrote:
> My idea is to have the font available to all applications as soon it's
> installed.  Using type1inst means that I have to modify configuration
> files for all applications to include the directory where the font is
> installed.

I'm not sure if that can be avoided - I'm not aware of a common "font
service" for X, gs etc. Possibly it could work similiar to the "menu" or
"doc-base" systems: font-providing packages register their fonts with a
centralised system, and font-using packages implement a way to use the font
registered in this way. Such a system would IMO need to be broader than just
type 1, and cover general PostScript and TrueType fonts at the minimum.

Ray
--
Cyberspace, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go