Re: version of Package.gz

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Joost Claessen wrote:
>
> > 400 kb even if ftp.debian.org is slow. Only the cache sees the
> > Package.gz file evry day as the same and send the same file evry
> > day throug. Is it possible to give Pakcage a version like
>
> This is because your cache is incorrectly configured. Furthermore if you
> point APT at your cache using the http_proxy environment variable APT sets
> special http/1.1 cache control headers to get the correct file.
>
> In either case it is a typical problem with generally defective
> transparent web cache implementations and must be fixed by those
> implementations. Call your Vendor.
>
> Jason

Before that last paragraph makes you give up in despair, however, take
a closer look at that first paragraph.  It may well be possible to get
around your university's broken cache by setting the http_proxy
environment variable correctly.  The syntax is:
  export http_proxy='http://XXX.YYY.ZZZ:NNN/'

Where of course XXX.YYY.ZZZ is the proxy machine and NNN is the port
number.  Your university should be able to provide you with this
information - I'm certain this issue has come up for other people (for
example, I'm certain some people don't want to see the same page every
day when they check slashdot).