Re: Reducing downtime on system critical services

Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 03:42:17PM -0700, Kevin Dalley wrote:
> > Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
> > > Those aren't config files, they are scripts to be run. The files in
> > > the spool directory are also checked (atleast normally) by crontab
> > > before making them active. So there is some measure of safety in
> > > this setup.
> >
> > They are conffiles, at least quite often. /etc/cron.d/postgresql is a
> > conffile for postgresql.
>
> config files and debian conffiles aren't the same thing.

conffiles are configuration files, almost always.  You can even check
the policy manual section 4.7.1 for this.  In fact this section
mentions that /etc/cron.* files are configuration files.  I used this
conffile as an example of one type of configuration file which could
create problems.

Yes, you are correct, though irrelevant.  Not all configuration files
are conffiles.  There are differences between the two concepts.
However, that statement is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

--
Kevin Dalley
kevind@rahul.net