Re: Reducing downtime on system critical services

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 02:17:35AM -0700, Kevin Dalley wrote:
> > Is cron broken?  Each minute, it checks its spool directory an
> > /etc/cron.d.
>
> Those aren't config files, they are scripts to be run. The files in the
> spool directory are also checked (atleast normally) by crontab before
> making them active. So there is some measure of safety in this setup.

They are conffiles, at least quite often.  /etc/cron.d/postgresql is a
conffile for postgresql.  In a worst case scenario, the new cron file
could be run before the package is ready to handle it and it could
break the package.  cron would die, but postgresql, for example, might
die.

However, your example may be easier to understand.

--
Kevin Dalley
kevind@rahul.net