Re: first draft "aptitude howto"

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Steve Greenland wrote:

> Ack. If I understand this correctly, you're saying that once I use
> aptitude, dselect will no longer correctly represent the state of the
> system. You may even be implying that 'dpkg --get-selections' won't
> be correct. Either of those would be make me never-ever-ever install
> aptitude. (More accurately, rush to de-install it...)

This is going to become increasingly more common as the APT front ends
develope more. There are a *tonne* of features in the apt libary that
simply cannot be done in dselect at all - they are un representable.

Once people figure out what they want to see from APT front ends I'll
probably standardize the format so they can communicate with each other,
but dselect is basically out of the question.

Note that this only really applies to hold/install new/remove - 'dpkg
--get-selections' will be correct for things installed/removed but won't
show much in the way of intent.

Jason