Re: Reducing downtime on system critical services

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 03:22:49PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Will Lowe wrote:
> > Yes, but it occurs in the Policy manual several times. :)
>
> Yes, and I read them all before bothering to post at all.
>
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch3.html
> >
> > specifically "recommends" using start-stop-daemon, but maybe it should be
> > worded a bit stronger?
>
> start-stop-daeomn isn't the issue, the order and which maintainer scripts
> handle restarting daemons is. I still do not see anything in policy that
> lays out one particular way it must be done.

Then I guess the arguement is that it *should* make reccomendations to
this affect. Without it, everyone is copying what all the other packages
(stop, then start). So it is assumed to be the correct practice.

Ben

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '