Re: New shmfs and Debian

** On Apr 03, Ben Collins scribbled:

> > stage of startup - even before the init.d scripts are ran. I think it could
> > go to /etc/init.d/rcS - so that it's a third thing done after init executes
> > the script. But, isn't it better to put it once in the /etc/fstab and then
> > forget about it? Even more so if you think that many people won't even
> > _know_ that shmfs exists at the point they install the new kernel!
>
> That fails one issue. Nothing is mounted automatically, except by the init
> scripts in /etc/rcS.d/
I think that this one is important enough to make it an exception and either
mount it explicitly from some script in /etc/rc.boot, from rcS itself,
make sure it is the first script ran from /etc/rcS.d/ or just put it in
/etc/fstab. The latter is quite hard, now as I think about it - because it
can be added to /etc/fstab only on a 2.3.x and newer kernels. That in turn
means we'd need a script that'd watch the kernel version and if the release
number would be higher or equal to 3 it would drop the line into /etc/fstab.
But that solution is unclean. Adding /var/shm to base-files is trivial as it
won't hurt anyone, but the rest isn't quite that trivial. Nevertheless, the
entry in /etc/fstab must get there one way or another... The problem is that
the user may decide to switch to 2.3.x or 2.4.x at any point and at that
point he must have the entry or something _will_ fail...

marek