Re: New shmfs and Debian

** On Apr 03, Eray Ozkural scribbled:
> Grendel wrote:
> >
> > Hi *,
> >
> >   The new version of the Linux kernel will introduce a new file system
> > called shmfs. It has to be mounted for the applications to use the shared
> > memory features. The standard mountpoint for the shmfs is /var/shm. Maybe it
>
> Oh god, what is that? Are these guys playing catch up with MOSIX? :)
Why is that? :) It's just a good old SystemV IPC :)

> Anyway,  I have never thought of shared memory machines interfacing
> through a filesystem. Sounds spooky.
Why not? After all chunks of shared memory are allocated to intercommunicate
between programs. Think of them as about some kind of two-way pipes. A
program that requests shared memory, just opens a file which happens to be
in the shared memory area. Another  process opens the same file and they can
communicate at will. After that both ends close the file and the vm-area is
deallocated. Besides, now by doing  'df' you see how much of shared memory
is used :)) - I like that :))

> > would be wise to add the directory to the base-files package as well as
> > create a suitable script to add the appropriate entry to /etc/fstab? I'm
> > sure than at some point, after potato is released, people will try to use
> > 2.4.x and some of them can face problems when their applications won't be
> > able to use the shared memory.
>
> Hmmm, I guess that has nothing to do with multiprocessing? Or is it just
> some facility for inter-process shared memory? Great, these guys re-invent
SystemV IPC, that's it. See at the top of ipc/shm.c in the 2.3.99 tree.

marek