Re: woody mutt users, please read

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 11:53:15PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Mar 28, Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:
>  >> You have to change all "lists" commands in your ~/.muttrc in
>  >> "subscribe".
>  >I have both.  Do you mean I can get rid of "lists" altogether?
> You can't. If you use both commands then I suppose you know what they
> do and configured your system for your setup.
> Most people don't know the behaviour of the lists command has changed.

    Eh?  My understanding is that you probably can get rid of "lists"
altogether if all the entries in "lists" are duplicated in
"subscribe".  From the manual:

More precisely, Mutt maintains lists of known and subscribed mailing
lists. Every subscribed mailing list is known. To mark a mailing list
as known, use the ``lists'' command. To mark it as subscribed, use
``subscribe''.

    Note that every subscribed list is known.

    To say that everyone needs to change all of their "lists" entries
to "subscribe" entries is incorrect, however (although if Branden
isn't using "subscribe" for all entries yet, he probably wants to).
The only difference between "lists" and "subscribe" is that
"subscribe" entries automatically add a Mail-Followup-To header.
People who don't want to get CCs of list replies should use
"subscribe".  People who don't mind should use "lists".

--
Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.