Re: Ian Jackson, please get me the hell off your blacklist.

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Branden Robinson wrote:

> Mar 29 15:20:15 apocalypse sendmail[7886]: e2T8qEi03048: to=stevem@chiark
> .greenend.org.uk, ctladdr=branden (1000/1000), delay=11:28:01, xdelay
> =00:00:21, mailer=esmtp, pri=6332789, relay=chiark.greenend.org.uk.
>  [195.224.76.132], dsn=4.2.0, stat=Deferred: 450 Site not yet trusted,
> try later [Irritated]
>
> Maybe you'd care to explain to me what's not trusted about my site?

See <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/sauce/>.

Note that the response from chiark said "450 Site not yet trusted, try
later". First of all, note that it's a temporary failure (450) and
your MTA should retry automatically. Also the text says "not yet" and
"try later", both of which suggest that the message will be accepted
at some point in the future.

> Irritated?  *YOU'RE* irritated?
>
> If you don't correct this at once I will be forced to re-evaluate my
> place within a project that is nominally devoted to free and open
> communication among its members and the rest of the world.

All of the recent discussion about various blacklists, dial-up user
lists, etc. seems to have frayed people's tempers. I see a lot of
messages from angry people, with little useful content. I suggest
everyone takes a step back and thinks before sending further mail: do
you really want to waste time arguing about this, and flying off the
handle for no good reason?

Steve Early