What's changed in su/bash? "bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable"

If I su, I then get the message "bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable"
on almost every command I try.

I found that `exec sh' let me do things.  So it seems that something has
changed in the set-up of bash or su
     "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on
      your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge
      him, and he will direct your paths."  Proverbs 3:5,6