Re: important vs release critical bugs

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 09:24:38PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> That sounds good in theory, but does it work in practise? I don't
> think so.

Last time I checked, we were fixing some 30 bugs per day.  Let's not
look only at the unmaintained packages.

> I have a number of bugs, which I consider important, but not release
> critical, that are at two years old. Some of these bugs should be easy
> to fix, often I never received a single reply.
>
> I don't have time to chase up the maintainer when he/she does not
> reply to my messages...

If you don't, and nobody else does, and the maintainer apparently has
no time for it... then the bug is not that important, is it?
If it is, make time for it.

Simply putting it on some list of "important bugs" will not magically
change any of that.  Pretty soon that list will contain most of our
bugs database and it will be useless.  200 release-critical bugs are
already too many to deal with.  (We got 21 new ones just today.
Simply reading all of them takes more than an hour.)

Richard Braakman