Re: Potato - update-alternatives (Ian Jackson) and window managers - doubt (and Slink to Potato Success)

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 09:16:10PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> > FWIW, gnome-session is not a window manager.
>
> But it starts one for you, so it would be a good candidate for an
> x-window-manager alias imho.

I'm antsy about that.

gnome-session itself does NOT provide window management services.

The package also doesn't depend on a real window manager.

I think having it masquerade as a window manager could lead to people not
having a window manager installed at all.

Users generally  need to modify their .xsession files just as they do
their .profile.

If the system administrator wants to modify the default, system-wide X
session file to call gnome-session, he can.  /etc/X11/Xsession is a
conffile.  The onus should be on him to make sure there is at least one
window manager installed that gnome-session can invoke.

Debian has a very configurable X environment; I don't cram much more than I
have to down anyone's throat.  Many things are conffiles so that they can
be tailored by the local admin.  Let's please not pretend this isn't the
case, and pollute the meaning of the x-window-manager virtual package and
alternative.

Session managers and window managers are different things.  See the Debian
X FAQ.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    You don't just decide to break Kubrick's
Debian GNU/Linux               |    code of silence and then get drawn away