Re: stuffit expander?

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 09:50:54PM +0200, Nils Jeppe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any debian package (or in fact Unix tool at all) that allows
> uncompression of Mac .sit (stuffit) archives?

there is no debian package, and more to the point there is no *nix
utility period that will extract stuffit version 4 and version 5
files.  this format is highly proprietary and only one compnay i am
aware of has reverse engineered it, Mindvision (with there macos
Mindexpander utility) they have however chosen not to share their
knowledge with anyone (or their source).  the version 5 file format no
one has yet reverse engineered AFAIK. (look for Aladdin systems to be
moving to Virginia soon)...

there is however some OLD (have not been touched since '88) utilities
that used to extract version 1.5 stuffit files, but they don't really
work anymore, and are not included in any debian package i have seen.
its just as well, they tend to do a better job creating corrupt
files/archives then unpacking a .sit file.

my suggestion is to deal with users using this blatently proprietary
format to use something standard and open, such as a combination of
macbinary and gzip.  which unix utilities should not have any problem
with.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/