Re: Bash and Letter E

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 09:37:27PM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:
>  Is it really just bash that has this problem?  You tested other shells, but
> I don't think they use GNU readline.  What about other things that
> use readline, like octave (find something smaller if you don't have it
> installed already!  Use the package dependencies to see what depends on
> libreadline4.)

	The problem occurs also with gdb or ftp, for example. I think
the problem is in readline library. I copied my INPUTRC file in a
something related to bash, once gdb and ftp dont work either.

>  Try using showkey(1) to see what pressing 'E' does on your hardware.  Also
> try dumpkeys and loadkeys, to see if the keymaps are ok.

	Showkey shows a normal behaviour for my 'E' key. I tested
other keymaps, that's not where the problem is.

>  Maybe you have a weird setting in /etc/inputrc?  Is there such a config
> file?  To see what bash is reading in, try
> strace -e file  bash -login

	I have already done. It is in a previos message. Give a look,
it doesn't work with 'E' as it should and how it works for other keys.

	Thank you for your help, Peter.

PS: Please, carbon copy the message to me.

[]'s
--
Rodrigo Castro   <rcastro@linux.ime.usp.br>
Computer Science undergraduate student - University of Sao Paulo

I do not fear computers.  I fear the lack of them.
                -- Isaac Asimov