NIS+ Client Support Available / libpam_unix help needed

Over the past few months (shortly after my ITP), Debian-NIS+ Client support
was developed by a small group of non-Debian maintainers. I post on
debian-devel, to make the effort known among the Debian developers and the
SPARC users, who might work in a SUN NIS+ environment AND to ask for
libpam_unix help (see below).

To get access to  the NIS+ client package (i386) for Debian (potato) include

deb http://www.realbodo.de/ debian/
deb-src http://www.realbodo.de/ debian/

in your /etc/apt/sources.list

To install your Debian system as a NIS+ client do

apt-get install nisplus libpam-unix2

Then read the doc in /usr/share/doc/nisplus.

The package is based on SUSE's libpam_unix2 package, because the nisplus
provided from Thorsten Kukuk from SUSE) package does not work with Debian's
libpam_unix.  With Debian's libpam_unix the client machine must be in the
admin group on the nis+ server. With libpam_unix2 there's no need for that
security hole. Ben Collins is looking on the problem, but due to his many
other functions in the Debian project, he is short of time.

The integration of the Debian NIS+ package in the Debian distribution would
proceed faster, if somebody else would be looking in the PAM problem. I think
some experience with the libpam_unix implementation is required. Certainly,
nis+ access would be an advantage.

The packaging work was done by Michael Feger (University of Karlsruhe),
testing and documentation was done by Sebastien Chaumat and Pascal
Degiovanni(Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon). Both can be reached via the
debian-nis+ mailalias debian-nis+@ralf.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de. If you
want to be added to the alias, please send a short email to me.

Thanks.

Rainer.
--
Rainer Dorsch