Re: xfce package

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 09:19:36PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> the package xfce seems no more maintained by Kevin Donnelly, someone
> should take it over. The maintainer seems MIA ... trivial bugs are
> not corrected for more than 172 days.
>
> Anyone wants to take it over and package the new upstream version ? it
> should be quite easy to do since there's a debian directory in the
> upstream source. I don't know if we should upload it to frozen or if we
> should remove xfce from potato and only upload the new version to woody
> as suggested in the bub report #60258.
>
> If nobody takes it over, I'll probably orphan it by marking debian-qa
> as the maintainer.

I'm not sure...

XFCE 3 is very different from the xfce in potato.

The Xfce in potato is actually my alternate Window Manager after my
complete Gnome environment, it's very lightweight, and had no known
bug. This may be an old package but it work really well.

Xfce3 is almost a complete redesign of Xfce, it now uses Gtk instead of
XForms, had gnome compliancy and a lot of new features.

I think you should rename it xfce2 and it should stay in contrib, and
be orphaned (but there is no known bug, so doesn't really need a
maintener) at least while there is no new RC bugs discovered.

And a new package (says xfce3 or simply xfce) should be build (by a
new maintener) and go into main

Old software, good software

A+

--