Re: Libc6 functions such as wprintf() (widechar/multibyte/UNICODE support)

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:26:34 +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@surfchem0.riken.go.jp> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>From: Jerry Lundström <jerry.lundstrom@dacapo.se>
>Subject: Libc6 functions such as wprintf() (widechar/multibyte/UNICODE support)
>Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 17:29:29 +0100
>
>> Ive been looking around the manual pages of wprintf and
>> include files of the latest potato.
>> Widechar/Multibyte support exist (wchar.h) but almost all
>> the usefull function is not in the libc distribution of
>> potato. Functions like wprintf that a vital is no where
>> to be found and still they have manual pages for the
>> function.
>> Has the widechar/multibyte printing support been removed
>> for som resone or just missed?
>>
>> Im hopeing for a quick response on this matter because its
>> very VITAL for my project!
>
>Yes, these functions are very vital also for multibyte-language-
>speaking (CJK) people, like me.  However, as far as I know,
>these functions are not implemented yet.  (I hope glibc 2.2 will have.)
>On the other hand, conversion functions between multibyte characters
>and wide characters are available now.  Can you use wcstombs() and
>printf() instead of wprintf() ?

Well, that was why I asked, because all the convertion functions seams to
exist and that got me clueless on why the wprintf etc functions aint.
Maybe this is a matter to take up with the libc ppl and not you folks, just
wanted to know if it may not been compiled into libc because of stability
problems or whatever.

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:19:09 +0000, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org> wrote:

>Until glibc-2.2 comes out you could use Bruno Haible's libutf8.

Okey, thanks, will check that lib.

--
Name:            Work:          Work phone:            Mobile:
Jerry Lundström  www.DaCapo.se  +46 (0)31 - 710 72 00  +46 (0)739 87 60 53