Embedded(/RT) Debian? Embeddian GNU/Linux?
does anybody know, wether there are ideas or plans to make
an Debian GNU/Linux especially for embedded and/or realtime
systems, i.e. "Embedian GNU/Linux"? I think, that the
Linux Router Project was once based on Debian, but this is
very specialised on one task. And I don't know what Mobile
Linux (Crusoe) will be.
I think, that the standard Debian GNU system is not well
suited for embedded systems, because
- policy requires docs and man pages, but one does not want
any docs or man pages on an embedded system;
- the base system/required packages is far too much for
embedded systems, e.g. one does not want perl necessarily;
- packages have to be even more fine-grained, or one does
need some options to install packages partially.
OTOH, embedded Debian GNU would be cool, because,
- superior package management;
- large number of packages in potato;
- good Debian infrastructure;
- it would be easy to have one distribution, that would
work for a lot of different computers, like routers,
telephones, VCRs, ATMs, washing machines, PDAs...
Well, is there sth. like this already or are people working
W. Borgert <firstname.lastname@example.org>