Re: Becoming a developer

>From what I read on this subject, I thought that most
of the flame war was on KDE, and that it might be
possible to include KDE IF, they made certain specific
releases in their license.  Since I thought that RMS
had appoved the newer QT license as a free license
(does KDE yet use Qt2, which is the new QT license?),
that this problem was going away.

I admit I am NOT a legal expect on this kind of stuff.
 Is there a way to search the archives on debian-legal
for QT?  Maybe some of my questions will have answers
there (If one can wade through the flames).  Is there
a way (via license modification disclaimers) that a
program written using QT can be GPL'ed at all?
Finally I note that debian DOES have the QTLib in the
distro, will this remain (allowing users to at least
use such programs via source)?

I don't know if I would attempt to re-write QSSTV to
replace the QT calls with GTK calls, but that would be
a last ditch idea.  Wonder if a tool kit for doing
such an insane thing exists?

Anyway I didn't intend to prase or bury the QT, only
to get a new ham radio application into debian,
somehow.

--- Alisdair McDiarmid <alisdair@wasters.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 10:08:34AM -0800, Kenneth
> Scharf wrote:
> >
> > The program is QSSTV (the ONLY slow scan TV
> program
> > that I know of that works on Linux.)  As the name
> > implies, it is based on QT.  It now (version 3.0m)
> > works with both qt1.44 and 2.0.2.  It is also
> GPL'ed.
> > Hope it can go in main, or at least contrib.
>
> I'm sure you'll get a lot of mail about this, but it
> won't go into
> Debian at all. The GPL is incompatible with the QPL,
> therefore
> distributing QSSTV is technically illegal.
>
> See the archives of debian-legal and debian-devel
> for much flameage on
> this issue.
>
> Regards,
> --